Rain Barrels!




I have wanted rain barrels forever. They are pretty pricey. I had found that the County I live in offers a mini course for around $40 and at the end you get a rain barrel...sounded great...until I found that every one of them is scheduled for a Monday morning. Really?? When will Florida ever figure out that everyone here is NOT retired. Anyway...I think I have mentioned it a million times at work, how badly I wanted rain barrels...last week my boss came in from one of her community runs (I work for a retirement community) and told me a resident had their rain barrels out at the end of their driveway with a "free" sign! I got in the golf cart (ok yes cliche retirement community transportation) and knocked on his door. He agreed to hold them for me!! While we were talking 2 other people came by interested in them...I felt like a mother bear protective over her cubs and thought I might go all ROWR on them..but never fear they were mine!! I took them home and painted them , one a psychedelic with PEACE signs and PAISLEYS cause I'm kind of a hippie at heart, and the other with a tree. As I was painting I thought of my grandmother, who was a truly gifted artist, and all the times I watched her paint. I am a crafter I  do not pretend to be an artist like she was. I did; however, feel her with me as I was painting. I knew she would be proud of me, and I could here her compliments. I added some black-eyed-susans because they were one of her favorite flowers, and then dragonflies for my grandfather because I truly believe that he sends them for me. I also decided to add a ladybug in remembrance of my cousin Frannie, because she also sends ladybugs to my Aunt. I felt their spirits all around me that day as I was painting, for some reason they let me know they were there. I am pretty proud of the way the rain barrels turned out! Now I have beautiful, fun, and functional art in my yard that pays tribute to three beautiful lives! PEACE  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment